Monday, December 26, 2005

joseph's lullaby

People, if you have never heard this song, well, it's about time you do. I was surfing a few weeks ago, thought I wanted to get my godbro a couple of Christian cd's on Amazon for Christmas, when I saw that MercyMe, one of those Christian music group that I'm familiar with, has just released a Christmas album, The Christmas Sessions. Most of the reviews sang praises for this one particular song, "Joseph's Lullaby", one of the tracks on the album. When I first heard it, a few moments ago, in fact, I was left speechless. The song is so, so sad and beautiful.


I suppose it's a safe generalisation to make, that we rarely think of Saint Joseph, spouse of Mary and the foster father of Jesus, what more to say his pivotal role in the life of Jesus. Joseph was a descendant of David, the greatest king of Israel. When the angel of the Lord first tells Joseph about Jesus in his dream, he was greeted as "son of David", a royal title also used for Jesus. It's amazing that I overlooked this part of the bible. Hey, this Saint Joseph was something, man!


Despite his royal lineage, Joseph surely was a humble carpenter. I, for one, just realised just how much he must have loved Jesus. His one concern was for the safety of the child entrusted to him. Didnt they leave in the middle of the night for fear of Jesus' life while Herod was on a killing rampage? He'll do anything for his son.


I guess that's what I love about this song, how the sincere lyrics just beautifully expresses how Joseph must have felt towards his newborn son. It's a sad song about a father singing his child to sleep, knowing the pain and suffering in store for the child. Mary was crushed to see Jesus dying on the cross in Jerusalem. Had Joseph lived to see that day, I dont doubt that he would have felt the same way too. St Joseph is Patron of the Universal Church, fathers, carpenters and social justice.


Trust me on this one, wouldnt have spent time if it wasnt worth it. Haha. Btw, IMHO only lah, other good stuf from MercyMe includes Where You Lead Me, Homesick and Word of God Speak. Geesh.. Amazing how I sobered up after a year in IMU, thanks to great companions. This time last year, I was techno-infatuated, listening to pretty weird songs like "God is a Girl". LOL


Go to sleep my son, this manger for your bed
You have a long road before you, rest your little head


Can you feel the weight of your glory, do you understand the price?
Or does the Father guard your heart for now so you can sleep tonight?


Go to sleep my son, go and chase your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment, go and sleep in peace


I believe the glory of heaven is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that he for just this moment, simply be my child


Go to sleep my son, and baby close your eyes, soon enough you'll save the day
But for now, dear child of mine, oh my Jesus, sleep tight...


0 comments: