Saturday, February 10, 2007

Food for Thought

I was about to begin this post complaining about how overrated and annoyingly commercialized Valentine's Day is, until I saw this one particular article in www.catholic.org.

And for the record, they really do have nice articles there.

Pope Benedict XVI, in his message released for the 22nd World Youth Day, urged young people and I quote, "to dare to love, and to embrace the only force capable of changing the hearts of every human person and of cultures." Actually, that wasnt the part of the message that struck me. What struck me was when he said all of these:

“There are those who even come to doubt that love is possible,” who come to believe through “emotional delusions or lack of affection” that love is “utopian, an impossible dream.”

Yep, this I can relate to.

“My dear young friends, I want to invite you to ‘dare to love,’” he said. “Do not desire anything less for your life than a love that is strong and beautiful and that is capable of making the whole of your existence a joyful undertaking of giving yourselves as a gift to God and your brothers and sisters, in imitation of the one who vanquished hatred and death forever through love.”

This too, I can relate to. I have come to believe that a love that is strong and beautiful will only happen to a rare bunch of people. I have some people telling me and made me think lately that the "correct approach to finding that elusive someone" is to be practical and realistic, and not idealistic, not with high hopes and expectations.

And he also went on to mention something that sure will bring a smile to my mom's face,

“Respond generously to the Lord’s call,” whether to the vocation of Christian matrimony, the priesthood or the consecrated life.

Mom vs Me: 2-0

We had a debate of sorts last week, see. She was telling me not to make failed/troubled marriages all around me as an excuse not to find the One. And my sister and I threw back what we thought was a clever retort, "But Mom.. St Paul did say that we can serve God better if we stay single", which she quickly counter-act with "Hish.. God's plan is also for us to procreate. Dont forget that holy matrimony, apart from priesthood, is also a vocation." Looks like the Pope says so too. And we were immediately silenced. Hmmm....

In this moment of cynicism and skepticism, hearing this, I guess, is just what I need. Like a drop of water on parched land, in a way. I wasnt utterly convinced by my mom last week, but I guess, when the head of the Catholic Church himself, says it, it must be really true then huh. But still, it doesnt make it any less scarier; daring to love, and daring to dream, and daring to hope.

Reading this article challenged a lot of my current views on love. Truly something to think about.

0 comments: