Monday, August 20, 2007

Maxims are not foolproof.

So I had my OTC prescribing video exam today, and my SP (simulated patient) was L. Patient was a 33 year old female, came in with the complain of having itchy rashes on her wrist. L being L, she was speaking very fast as usual and in her very thick Glaswegian accent.
.
.
"Hi, can you help me please? I've developed this rash on my wrist, and it's very itchy. It's been like this for the past 2 days.. yakkity yak yak yak."
.
.
I sorta lost my composure. If you know L, you would know what I mean. Like motor mouth wei. My head was spinning with the information. "I have this and this and this and this.." It's a wonder I managed to ask her further questions to confirm the diagnosis.
.
.
Easy peasy case, it was just contact dermatitis. But, rattled nerves caused by L's intent stare as I was flipping through the OTC directory, made me make a mad dash for the emollient, Calamine lotion. After all, the maxim is "Skin problem? Gunalah emollients". Tapi, looking back, hydrocortisone cream would have been a better choice.
.
.
Ah, burn!

0 comments: