Saturday, October 13, 2007

Eid ul-Fitr

Wait, give me a moment to think. I just got home, and I'm so stuffed with soto, nasi himpit, and kuih raya that I can hardly think.
.
.
Heheh.
.
.
Mimi held a semi-open house, and to say that it was happs is sort of an understatement. Party siot wei. More people than I expected turned up, and the food was almost unlimited, so was the laughter and the merriment. Raya songs were played, people bersalam-salaman. Karaoke lagu raya pun ada. It got even merrier as we watched France vs England rugby match. (Dang! England won.) The only thing missing was duit raya. :b
.
.

.
.

.1st throng of visitors
.
Then on Friday, which was the eve of 1 Syawal, we were made to come for lectures in Malay traditional costumes, or for those dont have them (like the Scots for eg), in green or yellow or black attire.
.
.
Naturally, I was the one in purple baju kurung.
.
.

.
.

I like her top
.
Pfizer prof of drug delivery system
.

4th year MPharm-ers
.
.
I ought to be happy, or at the very least, content. It has been quite an exciting raya after all. But surprisingly, I came home from Mimi's dreading Christmas just a little bit. I am glad that I joined in the merriment, making her feel less homesick maybe, helping her to celebrate, but at the same time, I cant help but wonder if I'll be as merry when Christmas comes. It's hard being away, especially at that time of the year, when everyone in the extended family spends time together. And I'll be here sans family. I suppose, it's all part of growing up. Still. Everyone needs to be with their family regardless the age. It's sucky having to stay here. But I suppose I should look at the bright side; Boxing Day sales. Or celebrating Hogmanay in Edinbvrgh. Or I could go to Dublin for Irish stews and Irish liquer.
.
.
But if u offer me flight ticket home, I would gladly give up the sales and the fantasy of a white Christmas. In a breath.
.
.
Ooh, Van, lucky lucky, you're so lucky.
.
.
My mom dowan me. Sniff sniff. Mom, Mimi's mom sent her Raya cookies... U're so gonna miss me during Christmas, mom.
.
.
I found another THREE Sarawakians during my Raya makan just now. It made me a wee bit less homesick. Especially when one of them can speak a few words of Iban. I was in Borneo heaven.
.
.
Only two more festivals before you go home, Dap.
.
.
The thought alone is depressing. Ugh.

3 comments:

van said...

cny will be the tough one for me, but then the batch is 90% chinese... i was thinking of raya, n then gawai, which dont make ripples here at all... christmas u can be sure of the sheer grand scale, but does it make it lonelier or more joyous? prolly the two at once... anyway pretty pointless question :/

i know a few random words of bidayuh if that helps! n very surface bahasa swak! n youtube has pretty ass kicking sapeh videos! haha yeah i know when i first went to kl swak ppl completely fascinated me... one never knows til one's far away from the familiar... k see u tmr

Daphne Gima said...

christmas will be the toughest i think. it will be my first one away. i've been away for gawai b4, so it wont be too bad. the more hyped glasgow is for a festival, the worst i wud feel i think. cos then i will be reminded of the fact that im here and family's there. but i'll live to tell the story.

hey, i want laksa sarawak. LOL. i like to go Bukit Mata and eat.

hmm.. maybe i shud get u to buy me sape cd's or some iban karaoke (haha!) back here. just for the heck of it.

van said...

can, can, ok, settled