Monday, November 26, 2007

I is back.

And I have to say, it feels like I've been away for a long time, eventhough my trip to the highlands was only over the weekend. I had a superb time; the bens and the glens were breathtaking. The journey was to get to the Isle of Skye was soo long though; on Friday we left Glasgow at midday and arrived at Kyleakin, the village in Skye where we stayed at, only at like 7pm? The road was pretty tough to stomach; winding roads as we cut through the mountains and skirt the vast lochs. I was in a pretty bad shape on the way to Skye; I hurled til I could hurl no more. The slightest whiff of food was really nauseating. Halfway through the journey, we stopped at Fort William for a tea break, and I rushed to the nearest Boots to get some travel sickness pills.
.
.Glencoe
Amazingly I still looked normal. I was very close to hurling here.
.
From then onwards, I basically had to keep on popping hyoscine pills to keep my food down as we explored the island in the chartered bus. It was very very cold and very very windy; when the bus was stationary the wind could rock it you know, with all 50 of us still sitting inside. When we were in Glencoe, we noticed that it was so freezing cold that even the watery puddle turned to ice.
.
Icy puddle.
.
I liked the trip; it felt like a school trip. Our "tourguide" was Uncle Jim, the kindly International Student Adviser who organized the weekend getaway. We watched Finding Nemo(!) on the way to Skye, we got packed lunches everyday with sandwiches and juice and a pack of crisps and a bar of chocolate and an orange or an apple. So macam budak-budak kan. The only thing that wasn't budak-budak about the trip was that he gave us cig breaks and he tells yeh which bar to go to at night. Oh, speaking of which, there is a certain charm of going to rural bars. Because the bars were practically at the hostel doorsteps. One just across the road, one just next door. Pelik. People hujung minggu go to cities for entertainment, we go back kampung. Weirddd. We went to one called Saucy Mary's, after the Viking princess with a bit of a reputation who married into the MacKinnon clan. Saucy Mary's were really quiet when we went in, because all the other people were at the King Haakon's bar across the road. Like how often do you get a bar to yourselves right? We spent the night drinking one or two shooters and dancing to corny entah-apa songs as slowly but surely, the bar started to be filled with people. Then they closed at a little over midnight for the Sabbath. Aaw. Hicktown.
.
Look, there are Henry's in Skye too.
Tomorrow's Monday. Deadlines are beckoning. I miss Skye already. :(
.
.
So? Pretty? It's no wonder the Scots are proud, spirited people. I would be too if I grew up surrounded by the majestic mountain ranges. Kinda makes you feel invincible and strong. Nevertheless, the sight that greeted us as we entered Glasgow again this evening was welcomed. Even if it's not as picturesque, there's no place like home.
.
.
Especially, when you're back with nicely packed gift boxes of handmade truffles and fudges. Guilty pleasure.

My loot that I got over the weekend

5 comments:

MicHieBuN said...

daphnieeeeeeee..............
reading feels like reading a story book!!! the vocubalary...and the sentences are all...CORRECT...
its abit scary wei

arealhighlander said...

Aww shame Saucys was so quiet for you. Give me a call next time you are in Kyleakin, always happy to meet up with visitors up here!


www.kyleakin.com

Daphne Maie said...

Hey Michie,

Scary ka? Biasa only what. How's hols? I'm sick. :( I miss u guys taking care of me. --> so gay. Haha. Anyway, dont forget Thai Yiung's bday.


Hey Highlander,

Yeah, 'cuz the live entertainment was over at King Haakon's, it was really packed when we got there. But Saucy's wasn't too bad, really. We had fun. The locals were friendly as well. Too bad the youth hostel closing next year.

arealhighlander said...

Hostel is closed to all but block party bookings already :( Locals trying to get together to save it.

Never mind, awful wind and rain here just now, Im off to Thailand on holiday for 2 weeks to get a tan for Christmas! :)

Daphne Maie said...

Escaping the isle of mist to seek the sun, aye?


Thai's food really great. Hope you enjoy yourself. Merry Christmas!