Friday, December 21, 2007

Care ye for the senile.

My, my, isn't it a teary Advent this year?
.
.
For lack of anything better to do, this evening I went with batchmates from the New Mercy church to visit the elderly in this old folks home, somewhere near St George's Cross. If I stayed home I would have either brooded or bummed around; and neither is particularly appealing when we're 5 days (down to 4 now) away from The King's birthday. So, I went.
.
.
And dont think I can survive if I were to go another time. People say you should continue serving others even when you're hurting. Maybe. But that also reminded me of Jeremy Robert who told me that he wouldnt specialize in paeds just because he loves children. In a way, he makes sense. Because how are you to be objective about your job to heal when every kid that comes in abused or in pain stirs the sympathy and deepest compassion in you?
.
.
I could hardly talk to the old folks just now. I was choked with emotion, which happens quite a lot really when I see old folks having to fend for themselves, or hobbling painfully down the street, groceries in one hand, a walking cane in other. Now having to see them in a home, no less, when it's only 5 days away from Christmas fer goodness' sake. So Su May and I hid in the coat room and cried. Lamenting oh the poor lonely dears who were so happy to hear us sing them old Christmas favourites.
.
.
I felt so bad, but I cant sit there next to them, say hi, and how are you this evening? Yeah, I was that pathetic. But I did hug and kiss them at the end. Oh if you were there as well. It would just break your heart, you know. Makes you wonder whether their families even care at all. It is not right for them to be left alone like that. They just sit there, smiling and looking around the room, waiting to be talked to. Some looked dazed in wheelchairs, backs hunched with age. It's just so, so sad.
.
.
And right before we left, a voice cried out, "You'll be back again, won't you?!"
.
.
And I spent the whole journey back home emo-ing.
.
.
And because I cant stop thinking about them, I have decided to ramble here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much food huh?