Sunday, January 06, 2008

As it happens, tomorrow, the Seventh of the First, the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Eight is the official back to school day.
.
.
And oh my word, this is the last time I could ever say that, for behold, coming ahead is the final semester. Like my last 5 months of tertiary education ever. Amazing. So freaking fast. Funny how life currently feels like "blink and you miss it." Blink. I'll have a baby crying at 2am when I'm trying to sleep. Blink. Oh my everything's saggy help I'm having a midlife crisis. Blink and before I know it, I'll be wrinkly and on my deathbed!
.
.
But, ahem. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. (And yeah, in case you're wondering, I do like being morbid. It's one of my highest attributes really, second only to narcissism.) I have another trip to blog about, because ma been hankering about pictures and stuff. If you didnt know already, I left for warmer climate London on the 30th.
.
.
.
.
But, first to the highlight. Chinatown! Finally. Chinese food was basically everywhere and in abundance and the sight almost made me deranged. Glasgow has a sorry excuse for a Chinatown, remember?
.
.

Ah. Siu ngap, siu yuk, char siu. I've missed you.
.
.
.
.
We stayed with a friend of a cousin of a friend who studies in Imperial College and lives like only 2-3 blocks away from Harrods (and Starbucks, and KFC, and Sainsbury, and Tesco, and lovely cafe's, and museums and various high street stores). Lucky dog. (Psst. And their residence hall is very state of the art kind. For example, the kitchen is the stainless steel kind, and when you enter it the lights automatically turn on. That's not student accomodation, it's a freaking canggih spaceship. But well, as to be expected from a UK Ivy League uni.)
.
.

.
.
Anyway, one of the things I remember vividly about Harrods is the truffles.
.
.

.
.
They were everywhere and from everywhere.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Thinking about them makes me want to knock myself on the head, because I didnt buy any.
.
.
Harrods also had a massive perfume sale. I'm now on the verge of knocking myself on the head again, because I didnt buy any.
.
.
Ah, well. You can't always get what you desire. Besides, it was utter havoc and that was quite a turn off. You have to brave the crowd to shop. Anyway, Mich and I were only there for 2 nights and a day. London was too crowded, we didnt want to impose on our hosts any longer, and heck, we've both been there a couple of times before, so, we did the crazy. We forfeited our return ticket dated 3rd Jan, and paid 40pounds extra for train ticket to Glasgow on New Year Day's.
.
.
And you know what, we had the best of time alone in Glasgow. The relative quietness was very welcomed after the franticness of London. Heck, even the chill was welcomed. (London was warmer). We spent the remainder of Mich's cuti in Glasgow scouring the streets for more Things To Buy. That or drink coffee. Between the two of us we made many, many retailers, bar restaurants and coffee shops richer.
.
.
Ah, the life.

3 comments:

Sheena said...

Btw, got you & Mich a little something from Portugal.

No need to get excited, it's just a LITTLE something.

Now trying to decide whether I should post it, or whether it would be the perfect excuse for me to go up to Glasgow to give it to y'all in person. (Or in people, plural & all that.)

Hmm...

Daphne Maie said...

Come up to Glasgow!


Seriously, the kesejukan will be good for you. Find a weekend when you, Mich and I can hang out.


Plus, you'll get to see San San etc.


And I can bring back the tribalness in you. Comeee!

ti3nD said...

ah u were there!!! hehe.

evything is jus too expensive sia.


i bought an anbesol gel for my mouth ulcer in one pharmacy inside harrods..lolz.