Friday, February 08, 2008

Since this is the first time I am directly involved in a Chinese New Year celebration (read: cina sesat), I reckon I should write something about it.
.
.
And also because actually I want to show you the picture of the leng chi kang MiniMei made for our "reunion" dinner. I love love love leng chi kang. Which is why I miss Jalan Alor, KL: the leng chi kang is superb. Drinking the one she made was kinda nostalgic.
.
.

.
.
Anyway, remember the CNY bash that I mentioned in the earlier post? It was swell, and I am really relieved. The (after) party carried on til late last night, or morning, to be exact, so it's no wonder that only half the batch showed up for the 9 o'clock lecture on polymers this morning. Not that I can actually vouch for that, because I was among those who didnt show up, but I heard it from someone who went. For the party I made potatoes and beef ala cina (like how Vincent used to sell in IMU canteen), Madras curry beehoon, five spice grilled wings, and cashewnut chilli chicken (which by the way is my pride and joy). I also managed to make a huge block of nasi himpit. It was my fourth attempt and it turned out great. I also made satay sauce to go with it. Anson said the only thing missing was the satay itself, but that cannot be helped la. Just too much work. ;p
.
.

.
.
Anyway the style of the party was that we opened up 6 living halls in our residence hall block, spanning 3 floors. The entrance to the flats were left wide open, so people were free to move around the floors, exploring each different hall, sampling the different types of food and stuff. A number of our lecturers came, as well as Carol, the pharmacy school administrator. She was saying last night about how this is the first ever batch of IMU students that made an effort to reach out to the local students. I was surprised really. This morning noon we woke up to various emails from the lecturers, and can I just quote a nice one from C. Dufes:
.
.
"We would like to thank you for your warm welcome and hospitality yesterday, as well as for your fantastic food! Your ability to celebrate such occasion in such a friendly manner was a credit to IMU and mainly to you as individuals. We appreciate the opportunity to celebrate with you this important occasion in the Malaysian calendar. It would be nice to think that future cohorts of IMU students will follow this excellent exemple you have set, and that the celebrations of Chinese New Year will become a firmly established tradition within Strathclyde."
.
.


She must have enjoyed herself last night. I keep on hearing her saying "Delicious! Delicious!" in her French accent. Good job, guys!
.
.
.

.

Hanging out with Jazzy and May would almost always inevitably lead to a singing session. We escaped from the crowd and were sitting down at the windowsill of the fourth floor, and the acoustics at the stairwell was great, so.
..


.
Before we knew it, more and more joined in. Including Joey, ever the fan of classic Chinese songs. She certainly looked like the part, a singer like in the old movies.
.

.

.

.

We even had spectators. But I suspect what brought them there in the first place was because they were curious to know just who were making all that unholy noise. The girls below were looking upwards; a floor above, Amir, KC and Khar Wei Duh&Duh-er were nicely sitting down on the floor facing us at the windowsill, stoning.

.

.
After more than half an hour of freezing my bum by the window, and after the crowd dwindled down, I decided to balik rumah: drink tea and eat cookies. It was just Yannee, MiniMei, Selene, Di and I at first, but before long a few more others joined in. Again. More tea. Tea tea tea tea tea and CNY cookies and prawn crackers that Desmond fried earlier in the day.

.

Look what Nee caught on camera: Di and Cik Muka Sememeh

.

I have to say, that was my highlight of the day (besides Adam & his cleaning crew's superb job at helping us wash all the dishes, wipe the table and hoover the floor after the party. I was so happy and grateful for their thoughtfulness); just sitting in a small group after the deafening noise earlier in the evening. Hot drink. Comfort food. Conversation. Refreshing.


Anyway, I realise that now that we got the class flat party out of the way, there's absolutely no other reason left why I should not start revising the rest of Biopharmacy 5. Which leads me to Lent Resolution #2: Abstinence from procrastination. If I manage to keep that up until Easter arrives; I would no doubt have a fair chance of getting the MPharm with distinction.

4 comments:

you know me said...

Mana gambar yang kau curik dari Desmond tu?? LOL

skinny jeans can just foff said...

Lolzter, Tolong sket ah. Who curi gambar who? LOL!


I took pictures off him because he took a few of my pics ba, then mana tau he sibuk sibuk also took pic of your uh.. tai gao lou. ;)

ti3nD said...

hmm.. u looked quite streesed up for incharging the food for ur unit. anyhow, u guys did a great job too :)

gambateh for ur studies n essays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daphne Maie said...

hi tien, ya lor. i came out of my room after showering and everything and oh my gosh our living room was packed. so panic also la, there's always a risk of not enuff food. but thank goodness it went great.


you gambateh too (im very lazy actually). ;)


p/s: thank you for emptying the bin for me too. di calls u guys mpjbc (majlis perbandaran jbc)