Friday, March 28, 2008

That 80's Show

So, right, Channel 5 was showing two US flicks last Sunday night, if you live here, you know what that means. Sweet relief. It always makes us happy to see familiar American shows, Brit shows are *ahem* not that appealing to say the least (except documentaries), but don't you mind that.
.
.
Anyway, one of the film showing was Not Another Teen Movie, which was quite cool, because Chris Evans and Chyler Leigh (i.e Lexie Grey on Grey's Anatomy) were hot in it, and the film was entertaining. But what made me jolt during the movie was when, towards the end, Molly Ringwald made a surprising appearance.
.
.
*Pause for meaningful silence*
.
.
Molly Ringwald. No bells set a ringing? Who played Samantha Baker in Sixteen Candles? The ultimate teen movie?
.
.
Shame on you if you don't. Because that movie is the bomb. It was released in the 80's but the memories of watching it are still quite vivid. I think everyone who watched it fell in love with the character Jake Ryan played by Michael Schoeffling. .
.

.
.
Everyone, meet Jake Ryan. Yes, Jake Ryan with his brooding persona, the one who let go of his popular party animal girlfriend because he wants something serious and I quote "want love in a relationship". Jake Ryan with his politeness and old school "If so sir, may I converse with her briefly?" charm. Who speaks like that anymore? Jake Ryan with a shy wave from across the street, leaning against his red sports car. Pretty faces can be quite forgettable, but what makes this dreamy Jake Ryan character so enduring is the fact that he is quite the person. Jake Ryan, a moniker for the ideal high school crush.
.
.
But you know what, imagine my shock when I found out that Mike Schoeffling is now 47 going on 48(! ), and has two teenage children, living quite a low key life in Pennsylvania. I didn't realise it's been that long since Sixteen Candles! I watched it before bed last night, the first since so long, and I expected to be disappointed, the way I was disappointed about how unscary the Stephen King's It was after all those years. To my surprise, the movie is still endearing. I think it may well be my favourite teen flick of all time. Timeless.

1 comments:

van said...

mass bila?