Monday, April 07, 2008

Men in uniform

Psstt.. I totally ripped the following pictures off mom's blog.
.
.
I received an SMS from dad on Saturday, saying that they were going back to the longhouse because the soldiers were on a health promotion roll or something, so as courtesy demands it, the whole longhouse, Rumah William Bansa ought to give them a warm welcome. I thought it was a minor visiting thingy, sekali mana tau it was quite a happening event, judging from the pictures. And of course, her blog is written in Iban, so I'm taking it upon myself to give you the English truncated version of it.
.
.
Whee! A sight for sore eyes, rumah panjang beta! Note that the tent is not always there, the TDM (Tentera Darat Malaysia) put them up for the weekend event. Apparently the TDM soldiers from the nearby Batu 15 were having this "Jiwa Murni" programme; where about 600 of them were to trek across the jungle for 80km and spend the night, before they reach their meet point where they have a mock war.
.
.

.
.
Then the other thing they did was setting up a mobile clinic to help the rakyat, and as it happened, they chose our longhouse to set camp.
.
.
.
.
Their Brigadier General came as well. A lot of these soldiers are from Semenanjung I heard. Mom said they were karaoke-ing and joget poco poco-ing for two nights they were there! And in longhouse speak, that's very happening. People generally dont ber-disco unless a. it's harvest festival and b. somebody's getting married.
..
.
.
.
The most exciting part for me was of course, the health promotion programme that they did. I'm so impressed and have a newfound respect for the soldiers. You know, considering how much I've been hankering for this kind of thing, this kind of help to be given. A lot of fellow villagers from other longhouses came as well to seek medical treatment, so they must have had their hands full.
.
.
.
.
An army dentist was there as well. My mom said that he must have seen about 70 patients that day. I can't imagine the sweltering heat, but I'm so grateful somehow. And I believe that's one of my nephews on the chair, cant really see the face. Brave kid. I would have run away. I don't like dentists, except of course my friend Zun the dentist. LOL.
.
.
.
.

They were giving out medicines accordingly as well. I'm so jealous I wish I was there. It must have been fun, and I would have kepo-ed and helped a bit. The picture reminds me of this Feed The Poor programme that I went to once in a while back in KL. It was funded by a local church, and was an outreach programme to help people living on the streets. I helped the medical team to dispense, and the experience was priceless. I imagine this would have been too.
.
.

.
.
I'm so unexpectedly happy. It's nice to see altruistic acts like this. :)

2 comments:

Indu Rumah Panjai said...

Nay, kumbai seduai Sudan tak baka rami sekula nya, munyi ku Aunty dik indai Tap. Enti kitai pulai ke rumah panjai, ditanya ia bc rami sekula you, ku iya lekik-lekik ketawa.

Stella said...

Cooollness.. one day Daph we can go do this too!