Saturday, June 21, 2008

I don't really see the point of learning history if we never learn from it, like we're supposed to. Nazi Germany was cruel - not only to (and especially to) de juden, the Jews, but also to its blond haired and blue eyed people. Not everyone rolled with Hitler. But for those who did, I wonder if they ever had problem sleeping at night. I wonder if there is even a speck of remorse or of horror as they watch the Jews marching down the streets, towards death. Starving souls and dead vacant eyes.
.
.
The magnitude of death back in that war was astounding. It's still difficult for me to comprehend why so many were allowed to die. You don't have to like everybody, but you should still respect them.
.
.
I like to think that they did, felt the horror of taking that many lives. I like to think that they were sickened and that their conscience keeps them awake at night. Because to act otherwise, ie, feeling nothing as the death toll increased would only mean that human can be inhuman, and that is a scary thought.

0 comments: