Monday, August 25, 2008

There's something about Btu, I think, that induces some kind of stupor in me. I told myself that I would not be idle when I get home, but old habits die hard, holmes, eh? At least last week I was coaxed out of my nice and comfy shell and went out for dinner with my girlfriends from high school. Went to that semi new place near that ye olde Chinese cemetery. Had my first pattaya in more than a year, but I still prefer Pakcik Amir's back in IMU canteen. We talked about the good days, and Sayn just started work. Lela and Najlaa are in their final year. Got a bit lost sometimes as they all did some kind of work with MLNG. I learned that a lot of the people I know are back in Btu, working. It is after all an industrial town. I also noticed an explosion of foreigners. The roads are getting busier, and there are also considerable amounts of foreign car plates (by foreign I mean not from Sarawak). To my amusement I've been seeing a number of Indians and a handful of Punjabis - certainly not the norm in this part of the country. Btu has changed so much within a year I think. The ex-pats are also back. Hmm.. They must be building a new plant or something. It's so congested.
.
.
The past few days have been uncharacteristic - it's been raining a lot, when it's supposed to be the drier season. The rain.. drops, were not drops, they were angry bullets accompanied by lots of thunder. I like it. Much better than when it's hot and sunny, though I do like the sight of my room, with the curtains drawn back, bathed by the early morning sun.
.
.
I'll have my interview with Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Awam this Friday in Kuching. I'm pretty nervous, but I'm trying not to think about it. After all, it's something everyone needs to go through, right? And I do need my provisional licence. It'll still be awhile before I start my posting though. Ame went for her interview in May, and she only got her appointment letter last week. But bottom line: I am grateful for this compulsory service thang. At least I don't really have to worry about getting a job.

0 comments: