Thursday, December 04, 2008

Store-ys

Right. Fourth day in store. It's not too bad once you're used to the paucity of work. But it really is so quiet in here, and I'm alone most of the time. My current preceptor is a busy, busy man, so I have another FRP mentor-ing me instead. My FRP mentor has the same surname as Darren, and I have to suppress the reflex to say "Mr Wang, ada wang ka?" I know right, I'm lame. Di and Darren told me so everytime I said that before. Lameness aside, I hope that I won't be posted to store, ever, after the end of my PRP year. I didn't go through 3.5 years of chemistry and pharmacokinetics and pharmacology pain - just to sit in an office and order and manage stock. I feel redundant here, to be honest, which is why I go back to OPD on lunch breaks. The adrenaline rush, and the high is addictive.
.
.
Anyway, I was missed in OPD noon today. There was an Iban patient from goodness knows where, and she couldn't understand a word of BM, and there were only Chinese dispensers there. The dispenser who could do rudimentary Iban wasn't available, and the Iban herself, aku kan di stor. That's nothing. What really gets me, and the rest, frustrated, is when the Kayan and Kenyah folks start to come in. None of us can speak any of those, and it happens most of the time, what's with this being Kayan land.
.
.
But, I love it when the native neneks sometimes bring their (young adult) grandsons as translators. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Plus, they're cute (I'd say panas really, but let's just stick to the milder term, cute).
.
.
:)
.
.
Still speaking of languages, I was dispensing last week when it was an old Chinese man's turn. He couldn't speak Malay. At all. The other (Chinese) pharmacist was busy, so I was on my own. It started with a very broken "Ni ting de tong BM ma, uncle?" For the life of me, I do not know how to say BM in Mandarin. He said no. Dengan gagapnya, I explained that I was "bu shi hua ren, ke se wo hui jiang yi tian". Luckily, it was just multivits, once daily, and I managed to crap my way through a Mandarin conversation.
.
.
Le sigh. If I can have one superpower, I want to be a linguist.

5 comments:

di said...

I miss u Dap! hahah how come u in the store? lol..opd only 1 month? i tot 2 months? now i'm working in klinik kesihatan..also outpatient la but do filling only..haha ada wang? wonder how mr. wang is in kelantan?

dap said...

hi jie!

I miss you too! Last night I was just thinking of you, because hor, I have these 2 housemates who are both from UM, and they both been housemates since then. Reminds me of you lo. Last time used to have you, now I'm all alone. Sob sob. :(


Oh, I'll be in store for this month only, then I'll be back in OPD again in January for a month. They break it down and rotate the months ba. Miri actually alters its programme a bit, so we'll actually be doing 3 months OPD and 3 months clinical, instead of 2 months like in the book.


Sigh, dont you miss everyone?

dap said...

And Mr Wang must be missing his MU matches.

MicHieBuN said...

tribal woman.. i m so proud of u ;P

Stella said...

Linguistics was underrated in school.. they don't pay me more here for being multi-lingual and saving tranlation fees.. *sigh* oh well...