Friday, February 06, 2009

Come, says my heart

Fr Dom said something interesting last week and it was something along the lines of "I belong to the order of priesthood which requires me to be celibate, but I still function like a man." You know, just to put the spekurama to rest. I nodded in agreement and in understanding. It took me awhile to realize that saints are saints, they are holy not because God took away the things that could make them impure, but because by God's grace, they managed to defy their humanity and be holy. The cravings of the flesh, the propensity to lash out (I heard Padre Pio had anger issues), they're still there. They're like us, they're like you and I. To be good is not first nature, it's human nature to fall. To sin.
.
.
I repeat, they're not who they are, because they have it easier. They're ordinary people who became extraordinary because they seek more of God. To seek God, it's something that I really need to remind myself to do.
.
.
Oh, and men who become priests and virgins who become nuns, it's definitely not because they do not feel things.
.
.
The reason I'm bringing this up tonight is because maybe I need a reminder to not keep God at arm's length, like I sometimes do. My relationship with God is like a rollercoaster, I'll be on a brief high before I hit the low. Now I'm pushing myself up this incline, to try to be closer again. Jesus come meet me and help me up. The point I'm making to myself tonight is that God is accessible to everyone - to those who pray, and those who don't. To saints and to sinners alike. God is accessible to me. Maybe even more so (accessible) to me, because let's face it, it's the broken who needs mending. It's the sick who needs healing. I am broken and I am sick. I need forgiveness.
.
.
One of my favourite from Psalms is this:
.
.
Hear my voice, Lord, when I call;
have mercy on me and answer me.
"Come", says my heart, "seek God's face";
your face, Lord, do I seek.
Do not hide your face from me;
do not repel your servant in anger.
You are my help: do not cast me off;
do not forsake me, God my saviour.

.
.
Psalm 27: 7-9
.
.
And don't you dare say it's easier for me, because I have access to a bible.
.
.
----------------
Now playing: Nichole Nordeman - Gratitude
via FoxyTunes

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good sermon or an explanation of the homily and a good piece/lines too.