Friday, April 24, 2009

ORS per purge Part 2

So I am staying in again today. I was up already in fact, showered and was getting ready to go to work when suddenly I had a sudden need to go to the loo. An episode of diarrhea and vomiting. Nothing left in there but bile. I'm hungry but I can't keep anything in.
.
.
Had to go back to the hospital to get another MC from Dr N in the ward who started to look a tad concerned. Preceptors asking me to do a BUSE, which means blood urea and serum electrolytes. Electrolytes normally get low in vomiting and diarrhea. I refused because (1) I don't want to be poked for the BUSE and (2) I don't want to be poked for the subsequent IV drips. I don't think it's food poisoning. Now the general consensus is that this is due to stress, and the fact that I'm now in male medical ward. Male medical is crazy. Only done paeds before, so one thing that struck me is how big the adult male patients are, and how much space they occupy. It's quite rewarding so far, even if the workload is much higher.
.
.
I'm actually on call this week but thank God, it's been safe so far. Someone is taking over my Saturday morning duty, so I just have to work on Sunday now, but I should be okay by then.

0 comments: