Wednesday, September 09, 2009

One Step Closer

Let me try to give you an account of the first Nuku ke indu, literally translated as Ascertaining the Girl, event that I've attended. I can try, but seeing that it was my own event, and I was the girl to be ascertained, I don't think I can give you an objective account of the event. Sangat nervous tau!
.
.
But I've been spoken for, y'all. :))
.
.
C's family came to pay my family a formal visit this evening. C's dad presented my dad with a duku ilang (otherwise known as a parang) in a beautiful beaded Kayan sheath. In the Kayan tradition, he said, the duku ilang is used to clear the land for farming, you clear the land to claim it as your own, so that people won't encroach on your land. So by giving it to my dad, it's a symbol of their family wanting to reserve me, for lack of a better word. :))
.
.
At this point, I should probably explain that my significant other is half Kayan and half Iban. It doesn't really matter which side is more dominant, because either ways, it is customary for this to happen. I didn't realise how serious this was until this evening, seeing our family members seated together, discussing about us. I'm naive like that, I guess, if I thought as the newer generation we can do away with customs like these.
.
.
I was SO freaked out, not so much on the commitment part of it but about things commiting the cardinal offence of Not Walking Bowed Low In Front of the Elders as a Sign of Respect. I did that anyway unconsciously, so.
.
.
This is certainly not our idea, this formal talk, but our families think it's the proper thing to do, seeing our closeness and the fact that we go 10 years back. Nerve-wrecking experience but seeing our families happy by the outcome makes us happy. I have to admit it's comforting for me to have this when he's leaving in 3 days.


5 comments:

Endun Belalai said...

Congratulation my dear! Seize the moment of joy! :D ... from a friend of your mom, hidden in Sibu!

Sudan said...

Return ticket jadi pengapit, pelis. Tumu aku buking :P

Stella said...

Can I start booking flights for the wedding? :)

milocup said...

jealousnyerr =) =)

yannee said...

so nice to read about this...i wish you love and happiness :D