Sunday, May 02, 2010

Light Therapy


Decorating is an expensive hobby, as I have just discovered for myself over the weekend.
.
.
T.T
.
.
Ah well. Money well spent, I hope. I've been getting the nesting bug for awhile but it finally got the better of me in light of recent events that I cannot disclose just yet. *Ahem* But it did make me think / plan really long and hard on how I want my future home to be.
.
.
I've been staying in this place in Miri for 18 months now, and I've yet to feel really settled. It never felt like home, never felt like a sanctuary, and the fact makes me a little unhappy, because I'm the nesting type.
.
.
But it does get better, and with a little tender loving it feels more warm and cosy. I've always been concerned that my room is slightly poorly lit with only one standing lamp for light. I have white ceiling lights but I don't like white light so I don't use them except when I want to clean. So, with nothing better to do this weekend, I decided to spruce things up a little.
.
.
After lunch on Saturday I was walking around Imperial Mall when I walked into the Borneo Handicraft shop. I hardly ever go there because I AM from Borneo, so go figure. But, I'm glad I did, because I finally found a lamp that would suit my room! There were others shaped like bubu ikan but the moment I looked up and saw the green lantern, I knew I had to get it. I went home and decided to put it on the shelf, and tacked my earrings on the shelf wall (I only managed to do a few pairs of earrings until my thumb got sore from all the tacking). Also adorned the area with an existing mirror, a stalk of flower and a quaint English saucer I found from a car boot sale in Aberdeen. Native lantern lamp = RM 76
.
.
I have a coffee table and it's totally bare. I decided to get 3 bunches of fake pink flowers (Belle's) per bunch (I have a black thumb, even a perfectly healthy bougainvillea died on me). I also saw an idea online where they fit candles inside an old glass jar, but when I bought my candle it was too huge for my jar so I had to use the jar top only instead. Also got the cutest box for knick knacks (Belle's), and a blue vase (Boulevard). The Coffee Table Trio = RM54
.
.
I wish we have flea markets and second hand stores here. Things are ridiculously expensive sometimes back home. There's a certain joy with finding beautiful stuff on the cheap!

2 comments:

Sudan said...

Yay, you're back! Mayuh gik utai tulis, i nadai buku cehita here :P

Stella said...

I have too much stuff I need to get rid off =/
if only there were second hand shops to unload stuff!